Sunday, October 24, 2010

Early American apple grunt

I bought a bag of Haralson apples at the Wedge this morning, and I spent a good half hour searching for apple dessert recipes before deciding to whip up this super easy apple upside-down cake from Beatrice Ojakangas' Great Old-Fashioned American Desserts. I got this cookbook for my mom a long time ago, stole it from her, and have since lost it. Or maybe I gave it back to her. Either way, I'm grateful that this particular recipe isn't hidden in the Google Book. The only change I made to the recipe was to add 1/2 tsp. of vanilla to the batter, so I'm not going to type it out here.

I just ate three pieces. Three. As in, a third of the entire dessert. Now I'm eating a plain apple because I have this theory that apples erase bad eating choices. But the reason I ate three pieces, besides being that I have no self control and am incapable of practicing the kind of moderation I aspire to, is that it's simply delicious. Also, I have a feeling it tastes best warm, so I wanted to take advantage of its just-out-of-the-oven-ness.

Thankfully, my mom, dad, and sister came over and finished it off so I didn't gain ten pounds in one day. They liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment